Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Doris Chung


Remembering Aunty Doris Aunty Doris or Dor Yeeeh as Mum taught us to call her, she never seemed to age, looked the same at every Birthday and any other time I used to visit. Each time I saw her she used to say “I miss your Mum” and I remember she was so good to Mum as when Mum was ill and depressed many years ago she went to stay with Dor Yeeh and Mum was very grateful and so were we especially our Dad as it was a hard time for us. I don’t know how she managed to knit all the dolls, they are all so beautifully done, down to the last little detail you could tell they were all done with love. So Mum and Dor Yeeh you are together now having cups of tea together and catching up. We miss you very much but we have lovely memories of you Bev Young xxx Growing up I've been privileged enough to get to know many of my por por's (Phyllis) sisters as mum (Beverley) would take us kids on frequent trips to Karori to visit them all for bottomless cups of tea. Aunty Doris with her kind nature, gentle speech, nurturing mannerisms and beautiful beaming smile reminded me most of my por por. They were close in age, not to mention looked similar. Aunty Doris used to tell me they "best friends". One of my earliest memory of Aunty Doris is visiting her around the mid 80s at Farmers on Cuba Street where she worked. Mum would often take us into town for some Friday night shopping. She sold me a pen with my name on it which I kept for years to come :) Since moving away from Wellington after university, most times when I would be back to visit Mum would still take me to see her. I have so many of her precious knitted dolls and am still to this day in awe of her talents with knitting, origami and calligraphy. Rest in peace Aunty Doris, you touched so many people with your joyful heart. You will be missed xxx. Tasha Young xxx Recent photo taken with Aunty Doris, Mum, & Aunty Pam in April 2017.  The fond memories I have of the beautiful Aunty Doris stems back to childhood when we used to stay with her family in Jessie Street. It was a busy happy household with all the cuzzies running around, up and down those villa stairs. The kitchen was always the centrepiece for conversation and there were many cups of tea to be had. Mum used to tell us that AD was her best friend! AD had a lovely gentle soul and it was always a joy visiting her and seeing all the cute things she had knitted from royal wedding characters to the All Blacks during the World Cup tour. She was kind enough to give me some of the precious wee dolls she had knitted and I have kept them for my wee granddaughter who is due in August. I remember being quite impressed when she pulled out a digital camera and was taking photos – Ken was a good teacher in that department. Thank you, AD, for all the lovely memories and for being a wonderful aunty and the best sister to our mum. It is a blessing to know that she and Mum are together again and probably having a cuppa with Princess Diana whom mum also adored. AD – missed but never forgotten xxoo Pam Joe 



Above is the Oriental Arts painting class at the end of year dinner. You can see more pictures of the class here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/nzoarts

2 comments:

Ken Chung said...

It is with great sadness that mum passed away on 23 May 2017 aged 99
We are all missing mum but we were very blessed to have her in our lives

Here is the Service sheet


and the slide show from the service

Ken Chung said...

I DON'T WANT ANYONE ELSE TO HAVE IT

Mum had knitted 2 dolls for the church bazaar in 2009.
I wanted them back !

I went to the bazaar and purchased every ticket. But they had sold some already so it was not a sure thing.


When mum heard that they had sold out she said "they should sell more tickets"


I won them both

https://goo.gl/photos/pumgQzm517s5qpn66


Ken